Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Artichoke!


Steven Weiss of Beadsmith invited me to create using the new Miyuki Baroque beads and a beautiful Golem Cabochon.  I really enjoyed working with both, and am happy with my results!  There is an entire fB page devoted to this awesome Golem/Miyuki combination. and I invite you to view all the beatuiful design work here!


I loved the Golem cabochon, by Vladislav Ivanov, and (thanks to percise calibration on his part) I was able to begin with a most magical number in my bezel base row, 96, that divides evenly FOUR times and is also divide-able by 3, 4, 6 and 12.  I was in 7th heaven.  (Wonder why heaven is seventh?  Primes are abysmal beady numbers!)  So because it was possible to do so, I got totally carried away with that bezel, allowing the cab imagery to dictate my progress.  I think the result kinda blends with the cab to the point of visual question about where one ends and the other begins.  After I had played for a few rounds, I decided I would cover the through hole, and just feature the beadweaving and the gorgeous Golem graphics.


Then I created my strap, using a base of my favorite stitch triangle weave and embellishing with square stitch, and variations thereof.  I was happy to add a few super duo beads to the mix and  was really pleased with the Miyuki Baroque beads.  The texture is almost that of a Baroque pearl, and somehow makes it possible for the result to have both a relaxed and an elegant feel.  Pearls themselves are really hard to dress down, so what a great finish!

 
After working the strap, I wanted to add some of the drop components to the bezel, but didn't really want the focal piece to get bigger.  In playing with the embellishment, I discovered a way to make the drop components curl back over the cab, and the result looked like an artichoke to me, hence the name for the work!
 
 
I also loved the Golem maker's mark, and wanted to be sure it was visible in my end result, so here it is for you to see.  Now I need to go and shopping and find the perfect thing to wear with this for the Bead and Button show!  I think my little olive accent beads should inform that purchase! 

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks so much. The Golem cab and the new Miyuki beads were great to work with!

      Delete
  2. An astonishing project! The cab really melts together with the beadwoven bezel, and I love the necklace construction too - how many different types of bead in here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my how fabulous!! You make the most gorgeous things, Marsha - and as usual, it's innovative and superb both visually and technically; I am dying over the curled over drops!!!!!! I hadn't heard at all of the baroque beads, and of course now am needing them desperately, lol. ;) What a beautiful construction!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, thank you. You are do kind to me! I am really looking forward to working with these pretty beads and this idea again!

      Delete
  4. Marsha that piece is stunning, I love how you've beaded around that gorgeous cab, the beading compliments it beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just beautiful Marsha. It accents the cabochon perfectly- just an overall gorgeous piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am blushing. Thank you Betty. There is just nothing better than respect and positive reinforcement from our peers and those we admire. Thank you All!

      Delete
  6. Breathtaking.

    As usual your work sings. All of the components fit well together- color and shape and your work is well executed.

    You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy Jo, Thank you! I'm lookinng forward to seeing how "Blue Eyes" turns out. :)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Callie, thank you so much. I am anxiously awaiting your return to your beadwork, and hope all is going well with you!

      Delete
  8. Just beautiful! Two of my favorite artists together ;). Perfect treatment of the cab and the necklace is graceful yet...like you said, relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, Thank you! It sounds like you really knocked Steven Weiss back on his heels with your BotB work (not an easy thing to do!) and I am super excited to see your piece!

      Delete
  9. Looove the artichoke effect! The whole piece is also gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! The artichoke bit was serendipitous!

      Delete